Welcome to the form guide for Sandown on 26 May 2018. We head back to one of the most consistent tracks in Australia. We have been seeing the right results pan out over the past few months and it’s a track you can really get a feel for when you are there. No rain expected and low winds will provide a strong day of betting. I will be moving my racing information in a few weeks time over to www.themailbag.com.au so please feel free to start reading the previews there from now on.
Sandown Race 1 – 1200m – Ladbrokes Back Yourself Handicap – 2YO
3. Expedius: Ran a career peak up over 1400m two back beaten 3.8L in harder company. Back to 1200m last start only ran ‘ok’ at best at Donald beaten fairly as favourite. Has to improve.
4. Scottish Rogue: Maiden winner last start as a short priced favourite beating an average bunch on Synthetic. Has to improve again here.
5. Holy Raise: One run to date on lead in and was beaten fairly by 3L on a heavy track. Weir runner and back to dryer up to 1200m. Can improve.
6. Prince of Caviar: Sebring colt out of Black Caviar. Hawkes stable and horse is ready to fire according to reports. Respect.
7. Scipio: O’Brien runner, D Oliver onboard. Nice breeding and ready for this.
8. Advancing: Price yard runner. Third run to date. Shown very little on track so far. Hard to measure up here.
9. Coronet: Changed trainers twice in the past. Looked an okay type as a 2YO. Trial was reasonable on lead in. Melham rides.
10. Gangika: Looked a nice type winning first up over 1000m on a Heavy 8. Well weighted with a 3kg claim from a nice barrier. Respect here.
11. Sonic Deed: Maiden winner at Pakenham last start. Big improvement needed to win again.
12. Relative Direction: Market only guide. First starter.
13. Tahitian Dancer: Market only guide. First starter. Has been well backed.
Top Chances: Gangika
High Chances: Holy Raise, Prince of Caviar, Scipio
Medium Chances: Expedius, Coronet, Tahitian Dancer
Low Chances: Scottish Rogue, Advancing, Relative Direction
Very Low Chances: Sonic Deed
Expected Speed: Enough runners to expect them to push a tempo Benchmark to 3L above benchmark.
Comments: Gangika gets the ideal map here today and looks the right type to improve onwards again. The O’Brien and Hawkes first starters as well as the Nichols first starter have all been well supported and should be followed from the yard.
Sandown Race 2 – 1200m – Ladbrokes Odds Boost – BM-78
1. Princeton Spirit: Massive issues between runs turning up to Caulfield two weeks ago LAME and was scratched. Will have missed work and still have the injury. Have to take on. Will be over-bet.
2. Sohool: First up today. Best seen between 1300-1600m for the horse in the past. Clearly will need the run but a win wouldn’t be a total shock – can run okay – bad barrier.
3. Artie Dee Two: Heavy track winner second up at Ballarat. Has run okay times in the past over this distance. Has over-raced significantly in the past.
4. Gatlinburg: Comes into this race today off a strong 2nd at course over 1000m. Get back run on type and will be hard to hold out if they can run on early.
5. Painte: Hasn’t won for a very long time. Parades very well but hasn’t gone close to a win this or last prep. Will have to improve.
6. Ballet Master: Okay lead in run over 1300m first up. Best runs in the past well below this. Has to improve significantly.
7. Cash Crisis: Hasn’t ever run the times required to place here. Take on.
8. Dantga: Ran well first up at course over 1000m when 6th behind Sacred Sham. Stays in same grade here up to 1200m which is ideal.
9. Highland Beat: Hasn’t won last 9 starts but always runs a strong race. Disappointed last start at the bool but back to dryer track today may only need to run to the two back run of at Caulfield behind King River to be a significant chance with the 2kg claim from a nice barrier.
10. Demolition: Three runs this prep in easier races and hasn’t gone close the last two outside of the first up win. Data doesn’t back up the horses chances.
11. Dusty Jack: Six runs last prep and didn’t get within 1.4L of a win. Goes okay around these distances but best runs have been over 1400m+. Needs to be ready to go from the yard. Trialed well.
12. Oscar’s My Mate Pa: Five runs this prep and beaten 3.2L or beyond. Have to find best runs of previous preps to be competitive. Not for me.
14. Overstep: Strong run from on speed last start at Caulfield and just beaten by a nice type in Jaws of Steel. Back to 1200m ideal here and from barrier maps for right run.
15. Seven Year Reward: Four runs this prep and hasn’t got a win this prep. Had every chance as beaten favourite last start. Needs to improve significantly.
16. Invisble Girl: Two runs this prep. FIrs tup ran okay enough and then followed that up with not a terrible run last start from too far back. Wanting speed in a race and may get it here. Good barrier.
17. Arties Dreamwinner: BM-64 grade winer on a heavy track first up. Big jump in class and best from the past is well below this.
18. Bryan: 4th up for the prep. Back in class here. Get back run on type. Tough barrier.
19. Tahi: Lightly raced well fancied type. Ran exceptional times 2nd up in first prep and been off a long time. Trialled well and D Oliver jumps on. Go forward type so barrier not a big issue.
Top Chances: Tahi
High Chances: Gatlinburg, Highland Beat, Invisble Girl, Overstep
Medium Chances: Dusty Jack, Dantga, Princeton Spirit, Artie Dee Two
Low Chances: Sohool, Ballet Master, Demolition, Seven Year Reward, Bryan
Very Low Chances: Cash Crisis, Oscar’s My Mate Pa, Arties Dreamwinner
Expected Speed: Tahi and Oscar’s My Mate Pa to set the tempo around 3L above benchmark early.
Comments: Tahi is the standout in the race. If the horse returns anywhere close to top from the yard then we will have to be betting. Princeton Spirit maps well but is a big take on coming off a lameness issue two weeks ago. Gatlinberg and Invisible Girl look great types but map for tough runs from the back. Highland Beat is super consistent and has to be considered.
Sandown Race 3 – 2400m – Ladbrokes Odds Boost – BM-90
1. Exalted Lightning: A week between runs coming off an okay enough 2nd behind Yogi in a slowly run race at Morphetville. Previous runs were okay with last win off a hot tempo early. Tough with top weight though if horse isn’t at best here.
2. Beyond Thankful: A week between runs coming off four fails over the Hurdles. Best runs in the past on the flat over these distances has the horse well in here. Have to query if going well enough on hurdles form.
3. Falago: Hasn’t gone within 5L of a victory in four runs this prep. Had 2 trials over the hurdles between runs. Right stable for it… 2500m open Flemington winner last prep. If money comes… wants speed on.
5. My Psychiatrist: Failed to fire a shot last start at Flemington coming off a win at course over 2100m the first up start. Freshened for three weeks between runs. Best from past go well here. Weighted well.
6. Zasorceress: 3-wide the trip last start at Flemington and still ran a very strong race. Looks ideally placed here from a much better barrier down to 51kg after claims. Could be at top from yard.
7. Shakopee: Four runs this prep and not been within 5L of a win. Hasn’t shown a lot and struggle to suggest here.
8. Lycurgus: Strong winner at course and distance last start when got race run to suit from just off the speed. Maps ideally here for the right run.
10. Mr Lebrock: Trialed over hurdles on lead in. Hasn’t run the required ratings in a long time to win this since a Doomben handicap win. Can’t fully dismiss.
11. Noumea: Failed to fire a shot last start at Caulfield but did perform well two and three back. Query over distance to find best but got it back in the UK.
12. Opposition: UK import for the Waller yard. First up over 1600m not suited but finished off ok. Step up here and suited by distance.
13. Doom ‘n’ Boom: Not won in a very long time. Last few starts have been average over hurdles in madien grade. Tough ask.
14. Happy As Hell: Showed nothing this prep to suggest a run close to placing.
Top Chances: Zasorceress, Opposition
High Chances: Lycurgus, My Psychiatrist, Exalted Lightning
Medium Chances: Noumea, Mr Lebrock, Falago,
Low Chances: Beyond Thankful
Very Low Chances: Doom ‘n’ Boom, Happy As Hell
Expected Speed: A big lack of speed here with no natural leader. Could be anywhere from 10L below Benchmark up to Benchmark run early.
Comments: Not overly confident here. Zasorceress, Opposition and Lycurgus look the most likely to appreciate the expected tempo and will finish off well.
Sandown Race 4 – 3400m – Ladbrokes Australian Steeplechase – Handicap
1. Gold Medals: Brierly winner and then Grand National after that. 23 days between runs, you have to wonder how much this campaign would have taken out of the horse. This race is certainly an after-thought… but respect the horse.
2. Zataglio: Smashed them at Casterton last start. This is a big step up in grade again but have to respect horses ability. Consistently always in it.
3. Spying On You: Hasn’t won in a while. Last win was in a poor 3040m hurdle race. Was 9L off Gold Medals in the Grand Annual.
4. Valediction: Failed to finish last start behind Zataglio. Not gone close all prep in easier races.
5. Abebe: Hurdle winner at Oakbank in a strong 100k race three runs back before failing at Pakenham two back. Best can run well enough to respect.
6. The Dominator: Well backed 2nd favourite coming off a win at the Bool over a similar distance. Handles all conditions and is deep into prep.
7. Don’t Be Shy: Failed to finish last start. Looked a nice hurdle type last prep leading all the way in a few good races. Respect here.
8. Undergroundfighter: Poor on the flat and hasn’t measured up recently over the jumps Not here.
9. Getting Leggie: Strong trial winner on lead in after Novice Hurdle win at the Bool. Need to go to next level.
10. King Kamada: Nice enough type coming in off two Steeplechase seconds to good types. Respect ability.
11. Entirely Perfect: Hard to suggest on recent form.
12. Street Outlaw: Tough ask in this class. Not for mine.
Top Chances: Gold Medals
High Chances: The Dominator, King Kamada
Medium Chances: Zataglio, Don’t Be Shy, Getting Leggie
Low Chances: Spying On You, Abebe, Valediction
Very Low Chances: Undergroundfighter, Entirely Perfect, Street Outlaw
Expected Speed: N/A
Comments: Gold Medals the horse to beat and a repeat of the Bool runs has the horse winning this. The Dominator has been well backed and can run well here while King Kamada also has to be respected.
Sandown Race 5 – 3400m – Ladbrokes Australian Hurdle – Handicap
1. Ancient King: Hurdle trial winner before failing to fire at Casterton last start over 2000m. best runs recently have been over jumps.
2. Two Hats: Strong hurdle winner on lead in at the Bool. Beat quite a few of them from this race. Hard to hold out.
3. Urban Explorer: Hasn’t won in a very long time over the sticks. Nice horse but a step below these on recent runs.
4. Honey Steel’s Gold: Strong winner two back before fairly being beaten by Two Hats last start. Has to improve but obvious type for it.
5. Dane Hussler: Jericho Cup winner three back and failed as a short favourite behind Two Hats last start at the Bool. Respect the SP?
6. Flying Casino: Maiden hurdle winner first up this prep off two solid trials leading in. Beaten by Cougar Express last start at Casterton. Big jump in class.
7. Self Sense: Big winner at Caulfield on lead in here and not disgraced behind Life Less Ordinary. Trialed well enough over the sticks on lead in. Maiden hurdle win three back was the real deal. Is the horse $1.80 shot is the question.
8. Four Carat: Maiden hurdle winner at Ballarat two weeks ago. Big jump up in grade here but horse clearly has ability.
9. Mystic Prince: Won an average maiden hurdle at Casterton after a third at the Bool the previous start. Tough ask.
10. Strike The Stars: Finally got a Hurdle win two back and then on lead in failed on a Heavy track. Hard to suggest again here.
Top Chances: Two Hats, Self Sense
High Chances: Dane Hussler, Ancient King
Medium Chances: Honey Steel’s Gold, Four Carat
Low Chances: Urban Explorer, Flying Casino
Very Low Chances: Mystic Prince, Strike The Stars
Expected Speed: N/A
Comments: Tough race to bet into. Self Sense could be the real deal over the sticks. Two Hats is the proven runner at the right odds. Dane Hussler and Ancient King the two to watch at odds.
Sandown Race 6 – 2100m – Ladbrokes Cash Out Handicap – 3YO
1. Lucky For All: Three starts this prep for three wins. Smashed them last start over this distance at Caulfield. Times were clearly Group standard… but horse does map horrible here – could get blocked for runs and caught on rails if not a good ride.
2. Greycliffe: Nice enough type 2nd in a Listed grade race two back. Needs to improve to figure.
4. Nothin’ Leica High: Failed in Group 1 class last start after coming off a nice enough run 6th behind Think Bleue at Flemington. Has to improve again.
5. Dr Dependable: 3rd in Open grade race last start at Morphetville – was still beaten 3.3L. Yet to run required times to win this but is in with low weight.
6. Renegade: Strong runs on the lead in. Absolutely no chance last start after getting too far back and pulling for a lot of the race. Jockey change a BIG positive and outside barrier actually helps the horse.
7. Johnny Vinko: Couldn’t win a BM-64 the last three runs. Last start run was decent, but hard to see the step up against these good types here.
8. Under Oath: Trial winner on lead in before failing last start off a strong tempo. Big step up again needed.
9. Pure Scot: Going well enough at home. Not the worst run in Group 1 last start. Previous run 4th in Open grade over this distance ideal form and lead in. Respect.
10. Kugelblitz: Two lead in trials for this horse first up today off 106 day spell. Right stable for it but hard to see jump straight into this off past form.
11. Mazzuro: Maiden winner last start. Huge jump in class. Take on.
12. Mr Monaco: Maiden winner at Pakenham last start. Big class and distance jump. Wasn’t terrible in similar grade two back.
14. Escalator: Maiden winner on lead in after many runs. Up in distance and right stable to target these. Wouldn’t fully dismiss.
15. Slick Back: Couldn’t place in a BM-64 last start. Massive improvement needed to be winning this.
16. Il Divo: Didn’t look out of place in similar grade last prep. First up run in BM-58 grade didn’t inspire confidence.
17. Jeparit: 4L maiden winner. Time was ok.
Top Chances: Lucky For All
High Chances: Renegade, Pure Scot
Medium Chances: Greycliffe, Johnny Vinko, Mr Monaco, Escalator, Il Divo
Low Chances: Nothin’ Leica High, Dr Dependable, Under Oath, Kugelblitz, Jeparit
Very Low Chances: Mazzuro, Slick Back
Expected Speed: Greycliffe likely leader. Could be run anywhere from 5L below benchmark up to 5L above benchmark early.
Comments: Tough race to get involved in with the $1.65 fav. Renegade looks a genuine class horse but has too many quirks. Pure Scot will also be coming from last with a few others. Tough race.
Sandown Race 7 – 1400m – Samson BM-84
1. Lord Durante: Doesn’t win often and best runs in the past have all been 1600m+. Hard to suggest 2nd up (never won first or second up ever).
2. Peacock: 5th up for prep today and steps well back in grade. First run in Melbourne for two preps. Runs along strongly out front and has to be respected back in grade, but will be weakening strongly late. Negative booking for this type of horse.
3. Divine Mr Artie: Three runs this prep – was a huge run two back at Flemington before failing to get home strongly enough last start in much harder. Well back in grade here and last 6 runs in these grades have resulted in 6 runs beaten 1.8L or less with 4 places. Up to this distance ideal. If they can run on…
4. Plot The Course: Nice enough type but didn’t get a win the past two preps. Best seen over slightly further and Trial didn’t prove alot.
5. King River: Smashed the clock last start over 1200m at Caulfield. Big query up to 1400m but horse is flying and any pace on makes it even harder to hold this horse out. Melham on and he loves cash. Looks big odds!?
7. Urban Ruler: Failed to fire first up over 1100m at Caulfield. Up to 1400m ideal to improve. Best from the past has the horse well in – wants a strong tempo.
8. Galaxy Raider: Smashed the clock last start at Flemington over further after speed was on throughout. Get back run on type with big ability. Horse is flying.
9. Jaws of Steel: Can’t dismiss this horse in any way. Two solid wins in a row in easier grades. Has to step up again here.
10. Castelo: Keeps running well without disappointing. Nice enough type to run well again here but has to improve to win.
11. Jamacian Rain: Smashed them last start at Cranbourne on a Heavy track. Best run last prep over this distance at Caulfield and would go very close here. Been well backed.
Top Chances: Galaxy Raider, King River
High Chances: Jamacian Rain
Medium Chances: Divine Mr Artie, Peacock, Jaws of Steel
Low Chances: Plot The Course, Castello, Urban Ruler
Very Low Chances: Lord Durante
Expected Speed: Lack of speed runners should see Peacock lead them around here. Could be 5L below benchmark all the way up to 5L above benchmark early.
Comments: Very unpredictable pace shape. As long as they don’t crawl, Galaxy Raider maps ideally and will be hard to hold out. King River has the ability to run over the top of any of these horses here and looks a big price. Jamaican Rain has a lot to prove to justify the price.
Sandown Race 8 – 1600m – Ladbrokes Info Hub – BM-78
1. Palazzo Vecchio: Six runs this prep and has been freshened up for this run. Well back in class here and really well weighted with 3kg claimer onboard. Times are all sound and this is a horse with big potential. Looks well suited here from barrier.
2. Pretty To Sea: Close 2nd in Group 3 class two back before running okay for 11th in a Group 1. Back in distance here and has to improve again.
3. Velocita: Failed to fire a shot in the Oaks last start coming off an average BM-75 3rd. Best runs in the past look well below this.
4. Honey Esprit: Stays in BM-78 grade after a nice 2nd fairly beaten behind Platinum Angel. Strong on speed times. Can run well.
5. Light Romance: Finished last prep with a very strong on speed run off a hot tempo and saw out the trip. Two runs this prep haven’t suited with no real speed on all run around benchmark. Looking for speed on here.
6. Miss Belisa: Fairly beaten in similar grade last start. Hard to suggest on recent form.
7. Truly Discreet: Continues to run really well from on speed. Has found strong tempos to suit all prep but a few continue to run her down. May be suited here.
8. Smooth Landing: Well back in class here today and well weighted. 1L off Peaceful State two back and then 2.9L off last start. Runs well with speed on.
9. Black and Tan: Been up a long time this prep. Get back run on type and was a strong 4th behind Peaceful State last start. Finally ready to fire and can go well here.
10. Abinger: Big jump in grade here off a Sale maiden win. Hard to suggest.
11. Quietly Angry: Nice type. Up in class here. Went well at Caulfield last start. Beaten fairly on day but still ran 3rd. Has to improve again.
12. Rebel Rose: Couldn’t place in BM-64 grade last start. Surely not.
Top Chances: Palazzo Vecchio, Light Romance
High Chances: Pretty To Sea, Honey Esprit, Smooth Landing, Black and Tan
Medium Chances: Truly Discreet, Velocita, Honey Esprit
Low Chances: Miss Belisa, Quietly Angry
Very Low Chances: Abinger, Rebel Rose
Expected Speed: Really hard tempo to predict. Honey Esprit should ensure 3-6L above benchmark early while Truly Discreet really could set it alight with 5-8L above benchmark if going for the lead.
Comments: This race maps and sets up perfectly for Palazzo Vecchio who looks big odds. Light Romance is the In-Play horse you want to be getting on if the early speed is very strong.
Sandown Race 9 – 1400m – Ladbrokes Multimaker Handicap – 3YO
1. Fifty Stars: Go forward type and will get a nice spot on speed here. Won very well last start at course and distance. Step up in grade again but this is a top quality horse.
2. Lord Sundowner: Disappointed last start at Flemington going around way too fast out front and not seeing out the 1600m. Back to 1400m here and looks nicely placed.
3. Exceltara: Very well suited by a strong speed out front last start and was able to come over the top of a classy field. Up in weight here but still well in. Looking for speed on again. Elite late sectionals and should appreciate the step up in distance.
4. Wassergeist: Nice enough wijn off a slow tempo first up from out the back. Last start failed to fire off a reasonable tempo at Caulfield when respected in the market. D Oliver on up to 1400m ideal. Goes well at track. Will improve.
5. Andaz: Ran home well for 2nd behind Fifty Stars off a tempo that just didn’t suit those out the back. Melham keeps the ride and looks to be ideal speed on here to improve past them. Well weighted and maps very well.
6. Mr Money Bags: Finished off solidly off a slow tempo last start at course and distance. Awkward barrier – could settle more forward today? Finishes off strongly and should close to peak here from yard.
7. Mr Storm: Went well back in grade last start and couldn’t win in BM-64 grade. Has to improve significantly here. Stable have backed him in the past.
8. Villa Sarchi: Wasn’t suited last start at Sandown off a slow tempo. Previous two runs were very strong and horse is well suited over the 1400m. Nice type and can run well – barrier not positive.
9. Danger Deal: Adelaide runner coming over the border. Solid enough last three runs on lead in but hasn’t been up to this grade and level. Best in the past would run well but has to improve.
10. Duality: Lightly raced type from the Waterhouse yard. Ran them along with significant speed on last start to score a maiden win. Big jump in class but times are sound.
11. True Myth: Maiden winner on lead in for the inform price stable. Back from a Heavy 10 track to this but has been well backed all prep. Hasn’t run time.
12. Casa De Lago: Two trials on lead in. First up here. Hasn’t shown much in the past over these distances. Take on.
13. Awesome Mover: Failed in a Heavy 10 maiden first up. Hard to suggest but will be fit. Here for a reason? Blinkers on.
Top Chances: Andaz
High Chances: Fifty Stars, Mr Money Bags, Exceltara
Medium Chances: Lord Sundowner, Duality, Villa Sarchi, Danger Deal
Low Chances: Wassergeist, Mr Storm, Awesome Mover
Very Low Chances: True Myth, Casa De Lago
Expected Speed: Three speed runners, but Duality looks likely to run them along here at 5+ lengths above Benchmark early on and keep it going all the way to the end.
Comments: This looks a great race to end the day. Duality will be pushing the tempo out front. Andaz maps perfectly here and looks the best type to run home from midfield. Mr Money Bags looks the value in the race but does map awkwardly. Fifty Stars has to be respected, will slot in fine out front. Exceltara will run well but this harder again today. Awesome Mover is the watch horse on track.